Working with Command Prompt or CMD seems to be very overwhelming for many computer users. But for CMD beginners, there are some basic command lines to get some hands on it.
As the CMD window opens, it feels like too much geeky thing.
You may feel ( personally I did ) completely blank at the first instant you have a look at words and numbers written on that plain black screen window.
But you don’t need to be overwhelmed with the long complete list of command lines once you understand the basics.
Lets first know what this CMD is?
What is CMD?
CMD is the abbreviation for the command that opens the Microsoft Windows command line window.
In the command line window, we enter commands.
A command is basically an input that we enter on the command line window. It’s a way to communicate or give orders to your computer system to provide the required output.
In the Windows systems, Command Prompt is the name given to the application that works as a command-line interpreter.
It executes and performs operations using the entered commands and thus produces output.
To open the command line window-
- Press Window+R
- Type cmd and press enter.
Basic Command Lines-
You can start with some simple commands in order to get comfortable with the Command prompt application.
9 most basic command lines for beginners are as follows-
1- Check your System info
You can get complete information about your system on your screen in just a few seconds.
You don’t need to go and check your device manual. You just command your system and it will serve you the complete information about the system.
To check system information, enter command systeminfo in the command line window.
2- Check Windows version
In order to check the version of the Windows operating system installed on your computer, you just need three words.
Enter command ver in command line window.
3- Check IP Address of System
You can check the IP address on your system without going to any third party website.
Enter command ipconfig to check the IP address.
4- Check running tasks
If you want to check which applications or tasks are in the running mode in your system, enter the command tasklist in the command window.
5- Check Date
To check the date, enter the command date in the command line window.
It will show the current date. You can also change the date by entering new date.
6- Check Time
To check the time, you need to enter the command time in the command line window.
You can also change the time.
7- Change Text Color in command window
If you don’t like the white text color in your command line window, you can simply command another color.
This one may be tricky at the beginning. For example-
- Enter command color black. It will show a list of colors with their code digit values.
- Press any key to continue.
- Enter command color 70
- The first digit in command (7) is for background color.
- The digit 7 is for white color that will make the background white.
- The second digit in command (0) is for text color.
- The digit 0 is for black color that will make text black in color.
You can also change background and text color by going into properties settings.
- Right click on the header.
- Select properties.
- Select color settings and change as per requirements.
8- Create New Folder
You may usually create new folders in a conventional way.
But you can also create a new folder using the command as well.
To create a new folder named “learnsimplified” on desktop-
- Enter command cd desktop and press enter.
- Enter command mkdir learnsimplified and press enter.
- A new folder with the name “learnsimplified” is created.
9- Get Entertained
You may be thinking about how one can get entertainment on this boring and dull command application. Well, that’s not true.
You can actually watch out a movie on your command line window.
You just need to enter a certain command. The steps are follows-
- Enter command telenet towel.blinkenlights.nl. and press enter.
- If the movie starts here then enjoy it. But if the error comes, you need to change some settings.
- Enter the control panel, then select programs and features options.
- Select Turn Windows features on or off on the right side.
- Enable the Telenet feature and press ok.
- Again open the cmd window and again enter the command telenet towel.blinkenlights.nl.
- Enjoy the movie.